Easter biscuit recipe
Looking for an Easter biscuit recipe? These shortbread-style biscuits make the perfect sweet treat for Easter celebrations. Share them with friends and loved ones – you could even gift them as a delicious alternative to a chocolate egg.
These biscuits are ideal for keeping the kids occupied over the Easter holidays. Get creative and make some Easter-themed shapes from your bake. It’s the ideal way to use that novelty cookie cutter lurking at the back of the cupboard!
When selecting your flour, try to opt for organic. For this recipe, we’ve used Doves Farm‘s versatile organic plain white flour. Organic flour is grown without pesticides and synthetic fertilizers, helping to support your wellbeing.
Currants add a pop of sweetness and a delicious bite to this Easter biscuit recipe. Along with natural sugars, currants are also a good source of fibre, potassium and antioxidants. Antioxidants help to neutralise unstable molecules called free radicals that can damage the body.
Enjoy this Easter biscuit recipe throughout the celebrations and well beyond. We love to serve them with a steaming mug of tea. Delicious!
Love baking? Try these recipes
- 100g butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- Half a lemon rind and juice
- 200g organic plain white flour
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 50g currants
For the topping
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- Line a baking tray with parchment and pre-heat the oven to 200°C, Fan 180°C, 400°F, or Gas 6.
- Put the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolk, grated lemon rind and juice and beat well.
- Sieve the flour and mixed spice into the bowl and stir to combine.
- Stir in the currants.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to the thickness of 2x pound coins.
- Press a pastry cutter or cup through the dough to make 75mm/3”circles then gently lift them onto the prepared baking tray.
- Gather together the off cuts and re-roll to make further biscuits.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven and brush the biscuits with egg white.
- Sprinkle caster sugar over the biscuits then return them to the oven for a further 2 minutes.