Nutty green vegetarian grain bowl
Grain bowls give nutritional balance in a way that’s a simple pleasure to eat. And the real beauty is you can mix and match whatever’s handy. All you need is a grain, a protein source and a few vegetables. This nutty green vegetable grain bowl contains both egg and almonds, which are great protein sources. It makes a delicious, healthy vegetarian lunch.
- Farro, an ancient grain, is a fantastic source of fibre.
- Almonds are a surprisingly good source of protein so are a great addition to this vegetarian grain bowl.
- 75g farro
- 1 small head of fennel
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- Splash of balsamic vinegar
- 70g almonds
Large handful of spinach
- 1 organic egg
- Small handful of fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
For the dressing
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Place the farro in a pot and add in just enough water or stock to cover it. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 30 minutes, then drain off any excess water. Set to one side while you prepare the fennel and almonds.
- Cut the fennel bulbs vertically into 1cm-thick slices. In a pan heat up the olive oil, honey and balsamic vinegar. Add in the fennel slices in single layers and coat with the honey and olive oil glaze. Reduce to a medium simmer and cook until the fennel caramelises (5-7 minutes).
- Take the fennel out and set to one side, then add in the almonds to the same pan. Coat them in the remaining sticky honey glaze and cook for a further 4 minutes or so. Add the farro, fennel and almonds into a bowl with the spinach.
- To poach the egg – bring a small pan of water to a low simmer. Crack the egg into a small bowl and, using a spoon, create a whirlpool in the middle of the pan. Pour the egg into the middle of the whirlpool and allow it to cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the egg from the water with a slotted spoon to let the water drain, then place on top of the grain bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, lemon and season with cracked black pepper and sea salt. Finish with the chopped parsley.