Salt and pepper tofu with brown rice udon and miso soup
At Liz Earle Wellbeing, we believe that vegetarian cooking can be just as exciting and delicious as meat. Tofu is not only a fantastic meat-alternative, but it is also incredibly versatile and nutritious in its own right. Derived from soya, it is rich in calcium, amino acids, iron and other micro-nutrients, and is the perfect ingredient for Asian-inspired cuisine. This flavoursome dish is packed full of goodness and makes for a lovely, fuss-free supper option.
- Tofu is rich in calcium, amino acids, iron and other micro-nutrients
Sesame seeds are rich in calcium, iron, copper, manganese and vitamin B1, and contain antioxidants which help our circulatory system
For the tofu
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 300g firm tofu, cubed
For the miso soup
- 2 tbsps miso paste
- 100g brown rice udon noodles
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 small carrot, peeled and sliced
- 100g mangetout
- 2 pak choi, broken into leaves
- 1 tsp sesame seeds to finish
- To make the udon noodle soup, put the miso in a large pan with 800ml boiling water, bring to the boil, then add the udon noodles and soy sauce and cook for 5 minutes, or until the noodles are al dente. Add the carrot, mangetout and pak choi and cook for 2 minutes, or until the vegetables are just tender.
- Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and fry for 2 minutes or until fragrant and golden, then stir in the spring onions and cook for a further minute until just starting to cook. Remove from the pan and set aside. Return the pan to the heat and add the remaining oil. When hot, fry the tofu on all sides until hot through and starting to take on some colour. Return the garlicky chilli mix to the pan, add plenty of salt and pepper and gently stir until well-combined.
- To serve, ladle the miso noodle soup into large bowls, top with the tofu and scatter with sesame seeds. Enjoy piping hot.