Celebratory vegetarian nut roast recipe
Celebrate with a delicious nut roast recipe, like this one from Discover Great Veg. This option is great for vegetarians and meat eaters alike!
This fruity twist on a classic nut roast recipe makes it that little bit extra special. Packed with fruit and nuts, it makes for a delicious and colourful dish.
Walnuts add the nutty element to this roast and are well known for their wealth of wellbeing benefits. Walnuts are a great vegetarian source of omega-3, a nutrient known to play a pivotal role in brain health. Along with this, walnuts also contain iron, zinc and skin-friendly vitamin E. Perfect for a wellbeing boost!
This recipe uses cavolo nero, but cabbage or kale also make great alternatives, depending on what you have to hand. Leafy greens are fabulous for supporting our wellbeing. For example, did you know they can even help our skin to glow? The green pigment (known as chlorophyll) is a powerful anti-inflammatory. There’s evidence to suggest that eating lots of this soothing substance can help inflammatory skin conditions. Eating more greens and skipping inflammatory foods (like refined carbohydrates, processed meats and sugary drinks) can help with conditions such as acne, eczema and rosacea.
Photo credit: www.discovergreatveg.co.uk
Discover more vegetarian recipes
Walnuts are an excellent vegetarian source of omega-3, a nutrient that plays a pivotal role in brain health.
- 200g pack sliced cavolo nero
- 50g butter (or vegan butter substitute)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finally chopped
- 1 Bramley apple, grated
- 50g flaked almonds, toasted
- 50g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 50g dried cranberries
- Zest of 1 clementine
- 200g fresh breadcrumbs
- 100ml vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark 6.
- Cook the cavolo nero in a large pan of boiling water for 3 minutes, drain well and roughly chop.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a frying pan and fry the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the apple, almonds, walnuts, cranberries, zest, breadcrumbs and cavolo nero, season then mix in the stock.
- Press into a 900g lined loaf tin and bake for 30 minutes.
Spring greens and coconut dahl recipe with coconut salsa