Vegetarian mushroom and halloumi burger recipe
Serve up some mushroom magic this autumn with our recipe for a portobello mushroom and halloumi burger. Perfect for meat-free days, this recipe will be loved by vegetarians and meat-eaters alike.
Mushrooms are something of a favourite here at the Wellbeing Studios. Not only are they totally delicious, but they’re teeming with wellbeing wins, too. For instance, did you know that mushrooms are a valuable plant-based source of vitamin D? Mushrooms, just like human skin, produce this vital vitamin when the sun shines on them. Placing your mushrooms on a windowsill to ripen for an hour will add significantly to their vitamin D content.
Serve our tempting mushroom and halloumi burger recipe with tomato, plenty of rocket and a fresh bun. They taste especially delicious when paired with a glass of kombucha too!
Subscribe for more inspiration from Liz Earle Wellbeing
Love this recipe? You’ll find even more delights in our gorgeous print magazine. Built on over 30 years of Liz Earle’s personal, award-winning advice, experience and research, our much-loved bi-monthly magazine brings you the best ways to look good and feel great. You’ll find each issue packed with tried-and-trusted recipes, inspirational ideas and simple ways to bring out the very best in you. Wellbeing wisdom you can trust is at the heart of all we do.
Discover more delicious recipes
- 10g fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 red chillies, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lime, juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 250g halloumi, cut into 8 slices
- 4 wholegrain burger buns, sliced in half
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 small handfuls of rocket
- 1 large tomato, cut into 8 slices
- Place the mint, chillies, garlic, extra virgin olive oil and lime in a bowl. Mix well to combine. Add the mushrooms and halloumi, and gently toss in the marinade. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat a griddle pan on a high heat, add the halloumi and grill for two minutes on each side until griddle marks appear. Set aside to keep warm.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and grill on both sides for four minutes. Set aside.
- Add the buns to the griddle pan and toast for a minute on each side to heat through.
- Assemble the burgers by spreading a thin layer of mayonnaise to the bottom burger bun, add the rocket, tomato slices, halloumi, mushroom and a spoonful of any remaining marinade. Top with the top half of the bun and serve.