Broad bean salad recipe with asparagus and new potatoes
Discover a salad that’s perfect for summer with our broad bean salad recipe. Served with asparagus, new potatoes and mint walnut pesto, it’s a light and bright way to enjoy a variety of delicious flavours.
Ideal for taking to a summer picnic or enjoying at a garden barbeque, this sharing salad recipe will have you coming back for more. Enjoy on its own or as a tasty side accompaniment to meat or fish.
This filling dish is bursting with different textures and is an easy wellbeing win. Walnuts are rich in vitamins, minerals and healthy fats. They’re an excellent source of the essential fatty acid omega-3. We need omega-3 for a number of body functions, including heart, brain and eye health.
You’ll also enjoy a number of seasonal greens, bursting with vitamins and minerals. From refreshing mint to crunchy asparagus, this tasty salad recipe is a fabulous way to brighten up your plate.
Asparagus is packed with anti-inflammatory phytonutrients and essential antioxidants. This includes vitamins A, C and E. It also contains the minerals zinc, manganese and selenium to help combat cell-damaging free radicals and slow the ageing process.
Discover more of our salad recipes
- 200g new potatoes
- Dollop of butter
- 25g fresh mint
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 70g walnuts
- 1 tsp honey
- 150g asparagus tips, chopped into 2cm pieces
- 200g broad beans, podded
- Sea salt
- Fresh mint leaves, whole
- 50g feta cheese
- Boil the potatoes for around 10 minutes until tender. Drain, dollop over some butter and let them cool.
- Meanwhile, make your pesto by blitzing the mint, olive oil, garlic cloves, lemon zest and walnuts in a food processor. Add a squeeze of lemon and drizzle of honey to taste. Season with sea salt.
- Boil a fresh pan of water and place the asparagus tips in a colander above the pan. Steam for around five minutes until bright green and tender. Lift up the steaming pan when there’s a few minutes to go and add the broad beans off the heat. Plunge both into a bowl of iced water, then remove the white outer skin of the broad beans.
- To assemble the salad, mix half the pesto in with the potatoes with a little olive oil if needed, and place on a platter. Scatter over the asparagus and broad beans. Dollop on the remaining pesto and finish with a final drizzle of olive oil, feta cheese and fresh mint leaves.