Beetroot pancakes with walnuts, feta and honey
This beetroot pancake recipe makes for a delicious and savoury brunch. Enjoy thick American-style pancakes that will certainly add a pop of colour to the table.
Serve with a generous helping of feta cheese and walnuts. This flavoursome pairing is a taste sensation that’s too good to resist! What’s more, walnuts contain a wealth of helpful benefits. Packed with vitamins, minerals and healthy fats, these super little nuts are also a fantastic vegetarian source of omega-3.
Why beetroot? Well, along with being utterly delicious, it’s something of a wellbeing wonder. Beetroots are a very good source of fibre, as well as manganese and potassium. Not only that, these powerful pink vegetables are potent antioxidants and have been shown to increase the number of white blood cells.
Complete your beetroot pancake recipe with a drizzle of honey. Along with adding a touch of sweetness, honey is also fantastic for our wellbeing. It has antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. The best honey comes from your local producer – and don’t think that this rule doesn’t count if you live in a town or city. Urban bees are thriving and often produce the most delicious honey!
Watch Liz make her beetroot pancake recipe
Discover more delicious recipes
- 250g buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp good quality sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 200g cooked beetroot, grated
- 250ml organic milk
- 1 free range egg
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100g walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp honey
- 70g feta, crumbled
- In a bowl, mix together your dry ingredients, making a small well in the centre.
- Into the well, add one tablespoon of olive oil, your egg and the grated beetroot. Slowly pour in the water and mix well with a spoon or whisk, until it forms a batter.
- Heat a non-stick pan on a high heat, add in the remaining olive oil and, once hot, ladle in your mixture (one ladle per pancake) and fry for 1-2 minutes. Once the underside is firm and golden, flip the pancake and cook the other side for a minute or two.
- Repeat until you have used all your mixture, keeping the cooked pancakes warm under a clean tea towel as you go.
- Serve your pancakes with a generous drizzle of honey, and a sprinkle of feta and walnuts.