Cinnamon swirl recipe with dipping yoghurt
This cinnamon swirl recipe is perfect for wholesome brunches and wintry afternoon teas. The warming spices of cinnamon and cardamom make it a cosy treat in the dark months.
Cinnamon is a fantastic spice for supporting our wellbeing. For instance, it has antibacterial and antifungal properties and is also a good source of antioxidants.
The live yoghurt dip that accompanies this cinnamon swirl recipe brings a refreshing balance to the pastry, while the cardamom and honey provide a spicy sweetness. Live yoghurt is a great source of probiotics, the good gut bacteria that can help to support our immune system. It is also rich in calcium, helping to protect our bones.
The honey added to the yoghurt not only adds a delicate, floral sweetness but it also has many health benefits too. High quality honey contains lots of antioxidants that keep our cells healthy. We recommend locally produced honey or honey bought from a beekeeper named on its label. These are likely to contain traces of bee pollen and propolis, the antiseptic sticky substance bees use to build their hives. Bee pollen also brings added nutritional value with traces of B vitamins and minerals like calcium and magnesium.
Discover more wellness wisdom
- 2 x 320g good, all-butter puff pastry sheets
- 80g melted butter
- 4 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 80g light brown sugar
- A sprinkle of pearl sugar (optional)
- 2 tbsp raw, organic honey
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 250ml live Greek-style yoghurt
- Icing sugar
- Lay the sheets of pastry on a lightly floured surface and brush with the melted butter.
- Sprinkle over the cinnamon and sugar, and lightly press into the pastry.
- Tightly roll up the sheets along the long edge until you have a long cylinder, then slice into 5cm sections.
- Divide the rolls on two baking sheets, standing them on edge and allowing space to spread.
- Squish them down a tiny bit and sprinkle with the pearl sugar if using. Bake in the oven at 200°C/400°C/ Gas mark 6 for 15-20 minutes, or until puffed up and golden.
- Meanwhile, mix the honey, cardamom and Greek yoghurt together and set aside.
- When the swirls are cooked, remove from the oven, leave to cool a little and serve with the yoghurt and a dusting of icing sugar.