Easy banana bread recipe
Got a few bananas in your fruit bowl that are going past their best? This delicious banana bread recipe from Second Nature is the perfect solution. Plus, it’s a delicious low-sugar option for baking.
The natural sugars in bananas become more concentrated as the fruit ripens. This useful trick means you won’t need to add any calorie-laden refined sugar to your recipe. Find out more about replacing sugar in your baking in our guide.
This banana bread recipe also includes pecan nuts for an extra delicious crunch. Pecans are a wonder for our wellbeing. They’re a great source of zinc, which is an important mineral for supporting our immune system. Pecans also contain good heart-healthy fats that have been linked to improving total cholesterol levels. These helpful fats can also help us to feel fuller for longer.
Liz recommends buying pecans in larger bags online as this works out cheaper. Pecans also provide a nutritious and tasty low-sugar snack too. She loves the organic brand, Hatton Hill Organic.
The pecans, combined with oats and the bananas, make this treat high in fibre too. Fibre is essential for maintaining good gut health and a happy digestive system.
Enjoy with a steaming mug of tea or serve with plain natural yoghurt and blueberries for a delicious mid-morning brunch.
Read more low-sugar recipes
Bananas are rich in potassium, which can help lower blood pressure
- 3 medium overripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 80g butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g almond flour (ground almonds)
- 80g porridge oats or gluten-free oats
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 60g pecans, chopped
- 1 banana, sliced lengthways (optional topping)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan).
- Add the bananas to a bowl and mash with a fork.
- Add the eggs, cooled melted butter, and vanilla and stir well.
- Add the almond flour, oats, pinch of salt, baking powder, stir well.
- Add the pecans and stir lightly.
- Place the banana on top (if using), inside facing up.
- Bake for 40mins or until golden on top.