Low-sugar bake: nutty banana, almond and pear loaf recipe
Looking for a low-sugar bake? Our nutty, banana, almond and pear loaf could be just what you need.
It’s both dairy and gluten-free, making it a great crowd-pleaser for sharing with visiting tea-time guests.
This sweet treat is served with a blackberry compote, which adds to its earthy, autumnal appeal. We also recommend offering a coconut yoghurt alongside, for additional sweetness.
Almonds are a fantastic source of vitamin E – we recommend buying whole almonds online in bulk as they are much cheaper.
Love loaves? Try these recipes
- Spiced pumpkin and carrot loaf recipe
- Sticky pear, nut and ginger loaf
- Banana loaf with toasted coconut
Bananas are an excellent source of fibre and potassium. Leaving them until very ripe exaggerates their natural sweetness, reducing the need for additional sugars.
- 5 very ripe bananas, peeled, 4 mashed, 1 sliced
- 2 small pears, core removed and finely diced
- 60g coconut flour
- 150g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 50g almonds, roughly chopped
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 3 large organic eggs
- 45g agave nectar or runny honey
- 150ml coconut yogurt
- 2 tsp brown Demerara sugar
For the compote
- 200g blackberries
- 1 tsp runny honey
- Yoghurt (coconut works well)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas mark 5. Line a 2lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper. In a large mixing bowl, add the mashed banana, pears, coconut flour, ground almonds, baking powder, cinnamon and half the chopped almonds. Mix together.
- Add the oil, eggs, nectar (or honey) and yoghurt.
- Mix together, then pour into the lined loaf tin. Sprinkle over the remaining almonds, add the sliced banana and sprinkle over the sugar.
- Bake for 75-80 minutes, until a knife comes out clean. Turn the cake onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, put the blackberries into a saucepan with the honey. Simmer over a low-medium heat for 10 minutes until the berries start to break down. Leave to cool.
- Slice the cake and serve with the blackberries and a dollop of coconut yoghurt.