Watermelon and mint frozen margarita
Cool off with this homemade frozen margarita recipe, filled with fresh watermelon and zesty mint.
Watermelon embodies summer and although it tastes like a treat, it is low in sugar and a great source of iron. This recipe combines the natural sweetness of the fruit with some added honey or agave as well as the sourness of limes to balance to make the perfect daytime tequila cocktail.
Go on, treat yourself!
- Rich in special compounds called phytonutrients, watermelons are one of nature’s aphrodisiacs
- Watermelon also contains lycopene, the pigment that gives it its glorious pink colour, which can improve circulation
- 2 tbsp table salt
- Pinch chilli powder
- 4 limes
- 800g watermelon flesh, cut into cubes
- 4 tbsp honey or agave syrup
- Large handful mint leaves, roughly chopped, plus a few small leaves to garnish
- 200ml tequila
- 4 tbsp triple sec
- Put the watermelon in a single layer in a freezer-proof container, transfer to the freezer and freeze for 2-3 hours or until almost solid.
- Tip the salt onto a small plate and mix in the chilli powder. Halve the limes then use one half to rub around the rim of 4-6 margarita or martini glasses. Dip the rim of each of the glasses in the salt mixture then transfer to the fridge to chill. Juice the remaining lime halves and set aside.
- Tip the watermelon into the bowl of a powerful food processor, add the lime juice, honey, chopped mint leaves, tequila and triple sec into the blender and whizz until smooth. You may have to do this in batches depending on the size and strength of your blender. Pour into the chilled glasses, garnish with a mint leaf and serve immediately.