Turmeric health shot recipe
This turmeric health shot is one of Liz’s personal recipes that she uses to support her wellbeing.
Turmeric has a number of helpful health benefits and contains a powerful antioxidant called curcumin. This antioxidant can help to fight inflammation and mop up damaging free radicals in our body.
Despite its powerful properties, curcumin is poorly absorbed into our bloodstream. To optimise curcumin’s effects, pair your turmeric with a grind of black pepper. Black pepper contains a substance called piperine that helps to improve the absorption of curcumin. Curcumin is also fat soluble, so Liz likes to add a dash of extra virgin olive oil to this turmeric health shot recipe. We love the extra virgin olive oil from The Governor – use LIZLOVES for 10% off.
If you prefer a slightly sweeter drink, feel free to add a small amount of maple syrup or honey. Honey is one of our wellbeing favourites. It has antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. The best honey comes from your local producer – and don’t think that this rule doesn’t count if you live in a town or city. Urban bees are thriving and often produce the most delicious honey!
Enjoy as a warming cup to start your day. Delicious!
Watch Liz make her turmeric health shot recipe
Discover more recipes like this
- Morning health juice shots recipe
- Battery charge carrot and orange juice
- Spring into action with our zingy green juice
- 1 thumb-sized piece of tumeric root
- 1 grind of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- Just boiled water (to fill your mug)
- 1/2 tsp honey or maple syrup to sweeten (optional)
- Roughly peel your tumeric root and place into a garlic crusher. Press the turmeric through the crusher into the bottom of your mug.
- Add a grind of black pepper into your turmeric, along with the olive oil and stir to combine.
- Fill your mug with hot water (just off the boil) and allow to stand for a minute or two. Taste and sweeten with honey or maple syrup if required.