Turmeric health shot recipe
This turmeric health shot is one of Liz’s personal recipes that she uses to support her wellbeing.
Turmeric has a number of helpful health benefits and contains a powerful antioxidant called curcumin. This antioxidant can help to fight inflammation and mop up damaging free radicals in our body.
Despite its powerful properties, curcumin is poorly absorbed into our bloodstream. To optimise curcumin’s effects, pair your turmeric with a grind of black pepper. Black pepper contains a substance called piperine that helps to improve the absorption of curcumin. Curcumin is also fat soluble, so Liz likes to add a dash of extra virgin olive oil to this turmeric health shot recipe. We love the extra virgin olive oil from The Governor – use LIZLOVES for 10% off.
If you prefer a slightly sweeter drink, feel free to add a small amount of maple syrup or honey. Honey is one of our wellbeing favourites. It has antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. The best honey comes from your local producer – and don’t think that this rule doesn’t count if you live in a town or city. Urban bees are thriving and often produce the most delicious honey!
Enjoy as a warming cup to start your day. Delicious!
Watch Liz make her turmeric health shot recipe
Discover more recipes like this
- Morning health juice shots recipe
- Battery charge carrot and orange juice
- Spring into action with our zingy green juice
Please note, on some occasions, we earn revenue if you click the links and buy the products, but we never allow this to bias our coverage and always honestly review. For more information please read our Affiliate Policy.
- 1 thumb-sized piece of tumeric root
- 2 grinds of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- Just boiled water (to fill your mug)
- 1/2 tsp honey or maple syrup to sweeten (optional)
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger
- 1/2 orange juice and zest
- Crush both the turmeric and ginger using a garlic press into a small jug.
- Add a grind of black pepper into your turmeric, along with the olive oil and stir to combine.
- Fill your mug with hot water (just off the boil) and allow to stand for a minute or two. Add the orange juice and zest and stir. Taste and sweeten with honey or maple syrup if required.