Fish traybake recipe with potatoes, fennel and olive vinaigrette
This fish traybake recipe with potatoes, fennel and delicious vinaigrette is a light yet filling dish packed with health supporting goodness. This recipe is simple enough to rustle up on a weeknight for a dinner that doesn’t scrimp on flavour. Serve alongside a fresh salad for a flavoursome dish that will impress all those around the table.
Fish is one of the best things we can eat for our health. They’re packed with omega-3 fatty acids. These essential nutrients contribute to healthy brain function and can also support our vision too. What’s more, research suggests that individuals with lower levels of omega-3 are more likely to record age-related cognitive decline.
Fennel is also a fab addition for supporting our health. Fennel is actually a relative of parsley – crunchy and sweet, it’s the perfect companion to many fish recipes. It’s healthy cocktail of plant nutrients like rutin, quercetin and kaempferol make it a powerful antioxidant. It’s also a good source of anethol, a potent essential oil with anti-inflammatory properties. Even more reason to dive into this delicious fish traybake recipe!
Discover more wellbeing recipes
For the traybake
- 500g new potatoes thickly sliced
- 4 small fennel bulbs. cored and thickly sliced
- 4 x 125g fillets of salmon, halibut, tilapia or other fish
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, slightly crushed
- Salt and pepper
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 15 oil-cured black olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190°c/375°F/gas mark 5. In a small bowl pour the vinegar over the shallots. Let it sit for a minute before adding the remaining vinaigrette ingredients. Mix well, season and set aside.
- Arrange the sliced potatoes and fennel in a single layer on a baking tray. Drizzle with a tablespoon of oil and season. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown, then place the fish fillets on top and sprinkle with fennel seeds, salt and pepper. Bake for another 10 minutes, or until the fish is done.
- Serve the potatoes and fish with the vinaigrette dressing.