Summer tomato tart recipe with fresh herb oil
Bake our summer tart recipe – it’s ideal for sharing with friends at outdoor gatherings and picnics. Serve with a crispy rocket salad for a satisfying and nourishing meal.
Along with being delicious, tomatoes have a number of helpful health benefits. These fantastic fruits are a great source of essential nutrients including lycopene. This is a powerful antioxidant that gives tomatoes and other fruits and vegetables such as red cabbage and watermelon their bright colours. Studies suggest that eating lycopene-rich food may lower our risk of certain types of cancer, particularly cancers of the prostate, lung and stomach.
Making your own herb oil is an easy way to add depth of flavour to your meals. A quality olive oil is key to success here too! Olive oil is primarily made up of heart-friendly monounsaturated fat (approximately 73%). It contains less of the pro-inflammatory omega-6 fats found in most other vegetable oils. EVOO is the healthiest and highest-quality olive oil available. Producers extract the oil without the use of high heat or chemical solvents, which can tarnish its precious glow-giving nutrients.
Drizzle the herb oil over our summer tart recipe for a nutritious and delicious dish!
Subscribe to Liz Earle Wellbeing for recipes and more!
Liz Earle Wellbeing Magazine is full of wellbeing wisdom to inspire you to feel well, look well and live well for longer. It is only available via subscription so sign up now to ensure you never miss an issue of Liz’s trusted advice, delivered directly to your door. You can also enjoy six issues for the price of five when you sign up via direct debit and receive free UK p+p!
Discover more delicious recipes from Liz Earle Wellbeing
- 320g sheet of all-butter puff pastry
- Organic egg to glaze
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 600g mixed tomatoes: heritage, cherry, yellow, green
- Sea salt
For the herb oil
- ½ bunch of parsley
- ½ bunch of coriander
- 1 tbsp chopped tarragon
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 250ml extra virgin olive oil
- Handful rocket
- ½ lemon, zest and juice
- Parmesan (or vegetarian hard cheese)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Grease and line a 30 x 40cm baking tray with the pastry and score a line two centimetres in from the edge, all the way around. Pinch the border up to form a wall then prick the base all over with a fork. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with thyme.
- Halve and quarter the tomatoes, depending on their size and season well with salt, then lay them all over the tart, taking care to keep them within confines of the scored line.
- Roast in the oven for 40 minutes, then leave to cool.
- To make the herb oil, blitz the herbs in a food processor with the olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Dress the cooled tart with the oil and serve with a salad of rocket, lemon juice and Parmesan shavings.