Potato latkes recipe
Potato latkes make an ideal snack to serve at a celebration. These potato fritters, with tender, savoury insides and crackly crusts, are too tempting to resist.
This potato latkes recipe from The Jewish Cookbook also comes with a gut-friendly twist. Serve with a dollop of crème fraîche for a helping of probiotics. Probiotics are gut-friendly bacteria that have numerous benefits for various areas of our health. This includes maintaining healthy gut movements, promoting immunity and lowering cholesterol.
Discover how to make your own crème fraîche at home with the Liz Earle Wellbeing Good Gut Box. This handy set contains everything you need to create gut-friendly fare at home.
You can serve these potato latkes immediately but they also store well if you’re looking to prep in advance. Simply let the latkes cool before storing. Wrap them up tightly and pop in the fridge or freezer for later. To reheat, simply place them on a baking sheet in a warm oven for around 10 minutes, or until crisp and warmed through.
Discover more delicious recipes
- Babka recipe with cinnamon and raisin
- Spinach and potato cakes recipe
- Crustless potato, herb and goat’s cheese pie
- 1.8kg baking potatoes, unpeeled, scrubbed and patted dry
- 1 medium onion, peeled
- 95g plain flour
- 4-5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 25g finely chopped parsley (optional)
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable or olive oil, for frying
- Sour cream or crème fraîche, for serving
- Line two large baking sheets with several layers of paper towels.
- Grate the potatoes and onion. Working in batches, wrap the shredded potato and onion in a tea towel or several layers of paper towel and squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Add the shredded, squeezed potatoes and onion to a large bowl along with the flour, four eggs, parsley (if using), salt, and pepper. Mix until the ingredients are fully incorporated. If the mixture looks dry, mix in the remaining egg.
- In a large frying pan, heat 1⁄4 inch oil over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Working in batches of 4–5, drop the batter by the 55g into the pan and press gently with a spatula to flatten. Cook, flipping once, until browned on both sides and cooked through for six to eight minutes minutes. Continue until all of the potato mixture is used up, adding additional oil to the pan if necessary and adjusting the heat if the latkes are browning too quickly or not quickly enough.
- Transfer latkes to the paper towels to drain. Serve immediately topped with sour cream or crème fraîche.