Cavolo nero risotto recipe
Looking for a delicious way to enjoy your vegetables? This tasty vegan risotto recipe from Discover Great Veg is one that the whole family will love (meat eaters included!).
Cavolo nero makes a star appearance here. This dark leafy green is a variety of kale that has a number of wellbeing benefits. The bright green colour of cavolo nero actually reveals one of its most potent plant powers. The green pigment (known as chlorophyll) is a powerful anti-inflammatory. There’s evidence to suggest that eating lots of this soothing substance can help inflammatory skin conditions.
Eating more greens and skipping inflammatory foods (like refined carbohydrates, processed meats and sugary drinks) can help with conditions such as acne, eczema and rosacea.
This vegan risotto recipe is ideal for when you’re looking to cut back on meat and fish. That being said, it can be easily adapted to suit all tastes. For example, adding prawns makes for a tasty fish dish. Plus, you can also add a sprinkling of grated Paermegiano Reggiano cheese to serve. Delicious!
Discover more delicious vegan recipes from
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely sliced (75g)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 300g risotto rice
- 100ml white wine
- 700ml hot vegetable stock
- 300g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 200g bag sliced cavolo nero
- ½ x 25g pack parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan and fry the shallots and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the rice and cook for 30 seconds before adding the wine. Cook until it has been absorbed.
- Add 1/3 of the stock, cover with a lid and cook gently until nearly all absorbed. Add a further 1/3 of the stock, mushrooms and beans and repeat. Add the remaining stock and the cavolo nero and cook gently, stirring occasionally until rice is tender and most of the stock is absorbed. Season to taste and stir in the parsley.
- Serve. For a non-vegan version, top with a little grated Parmegiano Reggiano.
Spring greens and coconut dahl recipe with coconut salsa