Quick and easy pickled red onions
Make a humble onion the star of the show with this deliciously flavoured red onion pickle recipe by the Wellbeing team’s Food Editor, Emma Winterschladen.
- 2 large red onions
- 400ml white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 red chilli
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- Peel off the outer skin of the onions and finely slice the onions cross ways into rings and place in a colander. Pour over boiling water then rinse with cold water. Let them drain and then dry on a paper towel.
- In a sterilised jar, add white wine vinegar and stir in the sugar and salt until dissolved. Add in any extras you may like (e.g. garlic, chilli or coriander seeds).
- Place the onions into the vinegar and season with pepper before sealing and placing in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (it should last up to two weeks in the fridge).
Loved this? Why not try:
– Light and healthy French onion soup
– Thai chicken and coconut soup
Spring greens and coconut dahl recipe with coconut salsa