Wholegrain muffin recipe with lemon and poppy seed
Enjoy our wellbeing take on a classic bake, with our wholegrain muffin recipe. With lemon, poppy seeds and a dollop of Greek yoghurt, these tasty muffins are teeming with refreshing flavours and healthy benefits.
Poppy seeds are well worth adding to your bakes for an extra wellbeing win. They’re an excellent source of protein and dietary fibre, and also contain helpful minerals such as zinc, magnesium and calcium.
We love to serve our wholegrain muffin recipe with a warming brew. Best enjoyed with friends.
Subscribe for more inspiration from Liz Earle Wellbeing
Love this recipe? You’ll find even more delights in our gorgeous print magazine. Built on over 30 years of Liz Earle’s personal, award-winning advice, experience and research, our much-loved bi-monthly magazine brings you the best ways to look good and feel great. You’ll find each issue packed with tried-and-trusted recipes, inspirational ideas and simple ways to bring out the very best in you. Wellbeing wisdom you can trust is at the heart of all we do.
Discover more recipes from Liz Earle Wellbeing
- 400g wholewheat flour
- 50g poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 125g butter, softened
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 2 large lemons, zested
- 3 medium eggs
- 125g Greek yoghurt
- 150ml milk
- Icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases. Set aside.
- Mix the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. An electric mixer is best for this, but you can do it by hand. Add half the lemon zest to this mix and beat for another minute.
- Add one egg at a time to the butter and sugar mix, beating each one well before adding the next.
- Beat in the yoghurt and milk until fully combined, then add the flour and poppy seed mixture in four batches, gently mixing between each addition.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin cases and bake for 25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool, then serve dusted with icing sugar and the remaining lemon zest.