Rosemary and olive oil cake recipe with ground almonds
Discover a new way to enjoy herbs with our delicious recipe for rosemary and olive oil cake with ground almonds. Complete with a zesty lemon juice topping, it’s full of fresh flavours. Perfect for enjoying with friends at a summer garden party or afternoon tea.
This bake has a firm texture, similar to a polenta cake. The olive oil adds a subtle flavour for a cake with a bit of a twist.
Rosemary is one of our go-to herbs at the Wellbeing Studios. This popular Mediterranean shrub is a rich source of antioxidants. which studies show are useful for our health and help to fight inflammation in the body. Research suggests that including antioxidants in our diet may also be helpful for reducing the risk of chronic health conditions. All the more reason to enjoy a generous serving of our delicious olive oil cake!
Subscribe to Liz Earle Wellbeing for recipes and more!
Liz Earle Wellbeing Magazine is full of wellbeing wisdom to inspire you to feel well, look well and live well for longer. It is only available via subscription so sign up now to ensure you never miss an issue of Liz’s trusted advice, delivered directly to your door. You can also enjoy six issues for the price of five when you sign up via direct debit and receive free UK p+p!
Discover more delicious recipes
- 120ml olive oil, plus 2 tbsp for greasing the tin
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 4 medium organic eggs
- 2 sprigs of rosemary, leaves only, finely chopped
- 300g spelt flour
- 140g ground almonds or almond flour (both work well here, the ground almonds will provide a rougher texture, whereas the almond flour will be slightly smoother)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 40ml milk
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 tbsp icing sugar, to garnish
- Rosemary sprigs, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6. Grease and line a 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin with some olive oil and baking parchment.
- Add the sugar, eggs and rosemary to a bowl and beat with an electric whisk for about five minutes until pale, fluffy and doubled in volume. Towards the end of the whisking, drizzle in the remaining olive oil until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flours, baking powder and salt.
- Gently whisk the almond extract and milk into the sugar and egg mixture, then slowly fold in the flour.
- Pour the cake mix into the tin and bake in the oven for five minutes, then reduce the heat to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4 and cook for 40 minutes. The top of the cake should be firm when done and come away from the side of the tin slightly.
- Drizzle lemon juice over the cake then leave to cool. Once cooled, remove from the tin and serve with a dusting of icing sugar, zest and some extra rosemary.