Banana loaf with toasted coconut recipe
This deliciously moist banana loaf with toasted coconut makes a wonderful teatime treat. The nutty crunch of the coconut perfectly accompanies the stickiness of the dates, with the apricot jam adding a fabulously fruity edge. Enjoy with your favourite cup of tea.
Banana loaf with toasted coconut
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 4 tbsp coconut oil, melted, plus extra to grease tin
- 100g soft dates, chopped
- 300g overripe bananas
- 4 tbsp sugar-free apricot jam
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160 C fan/gas mark 4. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with baking paper.
- Spread the desiccated coconut over a baking tray and cook for five minutes, stirring halfway through, then remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Once cool, remove 75g and place in a large bowl with the flour and bicarbonate of soda. Reserve the remaining coconut for later.
- Put the dates into a small pan with 75ml warm water, set over a medium heat and cook, stirring frequently until the dates have almost completely broken down. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Put the bananas in a large mixing bowl and mash with a fork until almost completely smooth. Add the coconut oil, cooled dates, apricot jam and beaten eggs, and stir well to combine.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 60-75 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cover the loaf loosely with foil if it is getting too much colour during baking.