Salmon, pickled veggies and avocado poke bowl recipe
Our poke bowl recipe makes for a delicious lunch or light dinner that’s perfect for summer. With salmon, pickled veggies and avocado, expect a bowl that’s bursting with colour, flavour and goodness.
Poke (pronounced pow-kay) is a dish that includes raw fish over a bed of rice, along with a variety of other toppings. Hailing from the Polynesian Islands, poke bowls have become popular in recent years with foodies all over the world.
You can experiment with different toppings for your poke bowl recipe, but we love to include avocado. Not only does this fruit pair well with the salmon, avocado is one of the most nutritious foods on the planet. Containing lecithin, beta-carotene, vitamins E and C, and healthy fats, it’s a wellbeing wonder!
Subscribe to Liz Earle Wellbeing for recipes and more!
Liz Earle Wellbeing Magazine is full of wellbeing wisdom to inspire you to feel well, look well and live well for longer. It is only available via subscription. Sign up now to ensure you never miss an issue of Liz’s trusted advice, delivered directly to your door. You can also enjoy six issues for the price of five when you sign up via direct debit and receive free UK p+p!
Discover more delicious recipes
For the pickle
- 1 large carrot, peeled into ribbons
- 6 radishes, finely sliced
- 100ml rice wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
For the poke bowl
- 150g brown sushi rice
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp tahini
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 200g sushi-grade salmon (ask your fishmonger), skin removed, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 avocado, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- Place the carrot and radishes into a large jar. Pour over the rice wine vinegar, add the sugar and top up with cold water. Tightly secure the lid and shake well to combine. Set aside and shake occasionally to create a quick pickle.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the packet instructions. Divide the rice between two bowls and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix rice wine vinegar, tahini, sesame oil, soy sauce, honey and lime juice well to combine. Add the salmon chunks to the bowl and gently stir to coat with the dressing.
- Place the salmon, avocado, pickled veggies, seasame seeds and spring onions in sections on top of the two bowls of rice. Pour over any remaining dressing and serve.