Spiced raw chocolate slices recipe
Although these spiced raw chocolate slices by Not Just a Pretty Plate look darkly decadent, they’re in fact free from gluten, refined sugar and dairy (that’s if you choose your chocolate wisely!). They’re the perfect fibre-rich energy boost to satisfy a sweet tooth.
Give your raw chocolate slices a final flourish by decorating with gorgeous edible flowers. Edible flowers are an easy way to add colour to your sweet treats without an additive in sight. Allow the chocolate to set slightly before decorating. If you add the flowers too early, the chocolate will come through the flowers, but too late and the flowers won’t stick at all. Read our guide to preparing edible flowers in this delicious recipe for floral decorated carrot cake here.
To decorate your raw chocolate slices as we’ve done here, press in a selection of the following edibles: apple bloom – pink; cherry blossom – white; and nigella – green. It’s the perfect way to bring a little sunshine into your kitchen.
Ideal for taking on the go with you, these slices are perfect for a mid-afternoon treat. They also make something of a showstopper for afternoon tea with friends. Enjoy!
Read more delicious recipes
- 175g pitted dates
- 95g whole almonds
- 85g pecans
- 30g dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp oats
- 1 tbsp mixed seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp water
For the topping
- 50g dark chocolate
- 10g butter
- Line an 18cm cake tin (or a small square tin if you prefer) with greaseproof paper and dust with a little plain flour.
- Place all of the slice ingredients, minus the water, into a food processor and pulse to combine. Add the water one tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is sticky but not wet.
- Tip the mixture out of the food processor into your lined tin, then press it down firmly with the back of a spoon.
- Pop into the fridge for about three hours, or overnight, to firm up.
- For the decadent chocolate topping, slowly melt the chocolate and butter together in a bain-marie. Stir to combine, then take off the heat and pour over your chilled date cake. Shake gently to smooth the surface, then pop the tin back into the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Add your edible flowers and serve.