Griddled broccoli with sugar snaps and tahini
Seasonal vegetables takes the starring role in this midweek meal by food writer Rukmini Iyer. This simple plant-based dish is full of flavour, and a delicious way to get your veg throughout the week.
- Broccoli contains many nutrients – including folate, fibre, calcium and vitamins C and A – essential for a healthy body
- Tahini and almonds are good sources of vitamin E and calcium, essential for strong bones and healthy skin
- 120g quinoa
- 360ml stock
- 155g sugar snaps
- 1tbsp oil
- 250g tenderstem broccoli
- 30g flaked almonds
- Salt and pepper
For the dressing
- 50g tahini
- 15ml olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lemons, juice only
- 25ml water
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt
- Bring the quinoa and stock up to the boil in a medium saucepan, before reducing to a simmer and covering for 20 minutes until the quinoa is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan on a high heat until smoking. Mix the sugar snaps with half the oil, then griddle on each side for 2-3 minutes until lightly charred in stripes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, and blanch the Tenderstem broccoli for two minutes. Drain well, then mix with the remaining olive oil. Griddle in batches for 2-3 minutes per side until lightly charred at the edges. Set to one side.
- Tip the flaked almonds onto the griddle pan, then turn the heat off. Shake the pan occasionally to lightly toast the almonds on both sides.
- When the quinoa is ready and has absorbed the liquid, fluff up with a fork and transfer to a serving dish. Add the broccoli and sugar snaps on top, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix the tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, water and salt together for the dressing. Drizzle over the salad and scatter the toasted almonds over the top before serving hot.
Loved this? Why not try: