Vegan cashew cheese
Cashew cheese is a brilliant dairy-free alternative to traditional cheese and is a versatile ingredient for many recipes, including cheese sauce and pesto.
- To 'activate' nuts, you must soak and dry them. This removes the phytic acid, which allows the body to absorb their fantastic nutrient content without putting strain on our digestive systems.
- 500g raw cashews
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 lemons, juice
- Fresh parsley, to garnish
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Immerse the cashew nuts in water and add 1/2 tsp of salt. Cover with a tea towel or pot lid and soak at room temperature for 2-4 hours. When they have absorbed the water, rinse well and air dry.
- Place in a food processor (or powerful blender) with the nutritional yeast, minced garlic and lemon juice.
- Add in water as you go until you get the required consistency (more water equals a smoother ‘cheese’). Blend well until the cashew nuts are smooth. Transfer to a bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Finish off by roughly chopping up the parsley and stirring in. Serve with crudités and crackers, or as a delicious sandwich filling.