How to treat recurring UTIs with Dr Louise Newson
Dr Louise Newson returns to the podcast for the second part of our pelvic health series. If you missed part one, be sure to tune in for a detailed look at vaginal dryness with Dr. Rebecca Lewis. Louise is a GP, menopause specialist and founder of the Newson Health Menopause Clinic in Stratford-upon-Avon. Listen in as she and Liz explore the all-too-common problem of recurring urinary tract infections (UTIs) and how in many cases hormones might be the root of the problem.
Inside the episode:
- Liz and Louise discuss the difference between cystitis and UTIs.
- Louise explains the role that estrogen plays in protecting against infection.
- Louise shares how hormonal therapy can help treat women with recurring UTIs.
- Liz and Louise debunk homeopathic UTI treatments.
- Liz and Louise share their concerns about the rise of antibiotic resistance.
- Liz shares the importance of gut health and how dietary changes can make a real difference.
- Liz and Louise debunk the myths about estrogen.
- Louise explains that STIs are on the rise in those over 50 and what can be done to tackle the issue.