How to make aromatherapy shower steamers
Wondering how to make shower steamers at home?
These fizzy melts are an indulgent yet easy way to turn your shower into a relaxing aromatherapy steam room. Simply place one on the floor of your shower and run the water to release the essential oils and enjoy a spa feel in your own home. If you’re more of a morning shower person, swap out the suggested essential oils for more refreshing notes, like citrus or peppermint.
Please note, due to their high essential oil content, these steamers are not made for the bath.
How to make shower steamers
- 100g baking soda
- 50g citric acid
- 50g corn starch
- 20 drops lavender essential oil (use the code LIZLOVES for 15% off at Neal’s Yard Therapies)
- 20 drops jasmine essential oil
- Natural purple food colouring (optional)
- Dried lavender flowers (optional)
- Combine all the dry ingredients and make sure they’re well mixed. Sift out any clumps.
- Add the essential oils and gently whisk to combine. If it seems too dry, gently spritz with water or alcohol until you’re able to knead the mixture wearing gloves. It should stick together like damp sand. If it starts to fizz, there is too much moisture. If you wish to add a natural colouring, now is the time to add a very small amount.
- Pack the mixture tightly into a silicone mould and leave to dry for 48 hours. You can sprinkle the tops of the melts with dried petals to make them look especially delicate. Once they’re solid, carefully push them out.