Fighting modern day slavery with Julia Immonen
Julia Immonen, Head of Partnerships at anti-slavery charity, Justice and Care, broke records when she rowed across the Atlantic in 2011. Together with her all-female team, Julia shone the spotlight on modern-day slavery and rowed for freedom.
Some eight years on, Julia continues to fight against slavery both in the UK and internationally. She joins Liz to explain her ongoing work and reveals how you can join the fight against modern-day slavery too.
You can stream the episode below, or download the recording via iTunes or Spotify.
In this week’s episode
- Julia’s row across the Atlantic
- Modern-day slavery in the UK and abroad
- Justice and Care’s work and the real people they help
- How to spot slavery in the UK
- What to do if you suspect slavery
Resources mentioned in the episode
- Visit the Justice and Care website
- Watch Salma’s story
- Read Julia’s book, Rowing for Freedom
- Discover the Safe Car Wash app
- Find out more about modern slavery
Modern slavery helpline: 08000 121 700
How to understand anger, with James Earl