Maintaining strong bones with Dr Taher Mahmud
From weight-bearing exercise to vitamin D, consultant rheumatologist Dr Taher Mahmud explains how we can avoid osteoporosis and maintain healthy bones in mid-life.
Inside the episode:
- What is osteoporosis?
- Liz and Dr. Mahmud discuss how pregnancy affects bone density.
- What can we do to improve bone density?
- Liz and Dr. Mahmud discuss what impact our diet can have on bone density.
- What weakens our bones?
- Dr. Mahmud explains the relationship between muscle mass and bone density.
- Why is Vitamin D so important for our bones?
- What is a DEXA scan?
- What is osteopenia?
- How does exercise bolster our bones?
- Liz and Dr. Mahmud discuss how eating disorders impact the bones.
- How does HRT affect bone density?