Gut health with Professor Tim Spector
A new area of research, we now know that gut health is central to our health and wellbeing. We’re kicking off our three-part gut-health special with bestselling author and leading British gut guru – Professor Tim Spector. In his book, The Diet Myth, Tim shared that the key to health and weight loss lies not in the latest fad diet, nor even in the simple mantra of ‘eat less move more’, but in the microbes already inside us. Listen in as Tim shares the magic of the microbiome and what we can all do to look after our gut health.
Inside the episode:
- Tim shares how he first became interested in gut health.
- Is our gut bacteria more influential than our genes?
- Liz and Tim discuss how our gut microbiome (collection of bacteria) develop from birth.
- Tim explains why babies need good gut health in their first few days.
- How does caesarian birth affect our gut bacteria?
- Tim explains the techniques that can make caesarian birth more gut-friendly.
- Tim describes the influence of gut microbes in the body.
- How does gut health affect our weight?
- Tim explains why calorie counting doesn’t always work.
- Tim describes his exciting new study and what he hopes it will tell us about gut health and nutrition.
- How can meal times affect digestion?
- Are their benefits to skipping breakfast?
- Tim and Liz discuss how fasting can improve our gut health.
- How does fibre benefit our gut microbes?
- Tim explains the importance of polyphenols and how we can add more to our diet.
- Do we need to eat organic to protect our gut microbes?
- Do artificial sweeteners hurt our good gut bacteria?
More gut health wisdom from Professor Tim Spector:
- Read Tim’s bestselling book – The Diet Myth.
- Follow Tim on Instagram and Twitter.
- Sign up to Tim’s gut health and nutrition study.
*This episode is brought to you by our friends at Bimuno. Bimuno is the daily fibre supplement that increases the levels of good gut bacteria and helps people to enjoy the benefits of a balanced gut in just seven days. It’s simple to take and fits easily into your daily routine. Bimuno are offering listeners 10% off – simply use the code LIZ10 at checkout.