The impact of bladder issues, with Professor Vik Khullar
Did you know that after the age of 50, more women will have bladder issues than those who don’t? Consultant gynaecologist and urogynaecologist Professor Vik Khullar joins Liz on this episode of the podcast to discuss the impact bladder issues can have – and why women shouldn’t have to suffer in silence.
Liz and Vik discuss how lowering oestrogen levels during perimenopause and menopause can affect our bladders, the potential benefits of topical probiotics, and the key differences between interstitial cystitis and cystitis.
The episode also covers incontinence, vaginal prolapse, the importance of pelvic floor exercises (also known as kegels), mast cells and histamine, plus the connection between Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and bladder issues.
Links mentioned in the episode:
- Visit Vik Khullar’s website
- Learn more about the Bowel and Bladder Foundation
- Learn more about the International Urogynaecological Association (IUGA)
- Learn more about the International Continence Society (ICS)
- Unpacking Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, with Lauren Windas
- Subscribe to Liz Earle Wellbeing Magazine