Stuffed sweet potato skins
The bold, bright BBQ flavours of these stuffed sweet potatoes will transport you to the sun-soaked, palm-fringed beaches of the West Indies. Bursting with the heat and vibrancy of Caribbean cuisine, these sweet potato skins are topped with pancetta, sprinkled with warming chilli, paprika and cumin, and studded with bright avocado, radish and chives.
- Sweet potatoes can help increase our vitamin A intake, contributing to healthy skin and bones.
- Sweet potatoes are root vegetables, so count towards your 5-a-day.
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 100g pancetta, cubed
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika, plus extra for decorating
- 1/2 avocado, diced into tiny cubes
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp chives, finely chopped
- 1 chilli, finely sliced
- salt and pepper
- 4-6 tbsp soured cream, to serve
- Rub the sweet potatoes with a little oil and salt, then pop onto the barbecue, cover with a lid or wrap in tin foil and cook for about 45 minutes until crispy-skinned and soft inside (check with a fork). In the meantime, fry the pancetta until crispy in a frying pan over a medium heat.
- When the sweet potatoes are ready, carefully remove from the barbecue, cut lengthways in half and sprinkle over the cumin and paprika, the crispy pancetta and avocado, and garnish with the radishes, chives, chilli, extra pinch of paprika, and salt and pepper. Serve with soured cream.