Roasted cauliflower with chilli-orange butter and flatbreads recipe
We love this bright and light recipe for roasted cauliflower with a chilli and orange butter. Serve with pistachio salsa verde and homemade flatbreads for a fresh, summer supper the whole family will enjoy.
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets with leaves
- 150g butter
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 2-3 red chillis, sliced
- ½-1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- Sea salt and black pepper
For the pistachio salsa verde
- 150g pistachios, shelled and toasted
- Handful of fresh mint
- Handful of parsley
- Handful of coriander
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- ½ lemon, zest and juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
For the flatbread
- 200g Greek yoghurt
- 200g self-raising wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- Rapeseed or olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/gas mark 7. Boil a pan of salted water and place the cauliflower florets in it for two to three minutes. Drain and rinse well under cold water to cool. Once cool, remove excess water with kitchen roll, then scatter the florets on a roasting tray.
- In a small pan melt the butter with the orange juice, half the zest and chilli, before pouring it over the cauliflower florets, leaving a little butter to one side for later. Season with salt and pepper. Place the florets in the oven and roast for around 25 minutes, checking halfway through to stir.
- After 25 minutes, melt the remaining butter again. Take the tray out and add in the cauliflower leaves, drizzling the butter over them and the florets. Sprinkle some chilli flakes over and pop back into the oven for a further ten minutes until everything is crispy. Grate over extra orange zest before serving.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, finely chop the pistachios, fresh herbs and garlic cloves, and add into a bowl with the lemon zest and juice, olive oil and vinegar. Season to taste.
- For the flatbreads, mix the yoghurt and flour together in a bowl with the chilli flakes. Leave to rest for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Roll the dough into eight balls. Heat a little oil on high in a non-stick pan. Roll out your first flatbread on a floured surface until it’s the size of a small plate. Place it in the pan when it’s hot. Cook for 30 seconds on either side until golden. Roll out the second flatbread while the first is cooking, and repeat the process.
- Serve the roasted cauliflower with the pistachio salsa verde and flatbreads.
Loved this? Now read:
Roasted Port Isaac lobster, seaweed and lime butter
Chilled chervil and buttermilk soup with crispy rye croutons
Spring greens and coconut dahl recipe with coconut salsa