Homemade rhubarb syrup recipe
There’s so much more to rhubarb than crumble. Serve this sweet pink rhubarb syrup with soda water for a refreshing spring spritz, or add Prosecco, crushed ice, lemon juice and gin for a zingy cocktail.
- 100ml water
- 100g caster sugar
- 350g rhubarb, trimmed and chopped
- To make the syrup, place the sugar and water in a deep-set pan over a low heat. Stir gently until the sugar dissolves into the water, then increase the heat and bring it to a boil.
- Simmer uncovered for 4-5 minutes, until the rhubarb is tender. Remove from the heat and pour the contents of the pan through a fine sieve into a bowl. Push the rhubarb juices through the sieve with a wooden spoon.
- Add the sugary rhubarb juices back into a pan and boil on a high heat for a few minutes until it turns into a syrup.
- For a grown up twist, add crushed ice into a jug and pour in four shots worth of rhubarb syrup, two shots of gin and then squeeze in half a lemon. Mix and pour into glasses. To p up with Prosecco and garnish with a twist of lemon peel on the side of the glass.