Merguez sausage rolls recipe
Bring some wellbeing flair to your picnic celebrations with our Merguez sausage rolls recipe. Enjoy spicy sausage encased in golden, flaky puff pastry. Delicious!
Merguez sausages are full of spices and teeming with North African flavours. They do have a kick to them, so our mint yoghurt makes an ideal accompaniment for our sausage rolls recipe.
Greek yoghurt (full of gut-friendly goodness) pairs perfectly with mint. Drizzle over the top of these puff pastry treats for a cooling dressing. Best of all, you can even make this the day before a gathering, giving you more time for entertaining friends and family.
Looking to add even more wellbeing wins to your picnic? We’ve an array of recipes here at Liz Earle Wellbeing that you won’t want to miss. From a colourful summer tomato tart to a recipe for healthy summer slaw, we’ve plenty to delight your guests!
Subscribe for more inspiration from Liz Earle Wellbeing!
Love this recipe? You’ll find even more in our gorgeous print magazine. Built on over 30 years of Liz Earle’s personal, award-winning advice, experience and research, our much-loved bi-monthly magazine brings you the best ways to look good and feel great. You’ll find each issue packed with tried-and-trusted recipes, inspirational ideas and simple ways to bring out the very best in you. Wellbeing wisdom you can trust is at the heart of all we do.
Discover more delicious recipes from Liz Earle Wellbeing
For the filling
- 500g minced lamb
- 2 large garlic cloves, grated
- 3 tbsp rose harissa
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp fennel seeds, toasted and crushed
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 50g ground flaxseed
- 1 organic egg
- Sea salt
For the pastry
- 2 sheets of puff pastry 325g each
- 1 tbsp blue poppy seeds
- 1 organic egg, beaten with a splash of milk
For the mint yoghurt
- 250g thick Greek yoghurt (or labneh)
- 1 tbsp dried mint
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Line two baking sheets with some paper and heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Mix the ingredients for the filling in a large bowl and leave to rest in the fridge for at least half an hour.
- Make the yoghurt by mixing all the ingredients, then check the seasoning is to taste. Cover and set aside. This can be made the day before and kept in the fridge.
- Lay out a sheet of pastry and put half the mixture in a line, about 3cm in from the long edge. Roll over to form a large sausage roll and press together at the join. Repeat with the remaining mixture and pastry. Trim the ends to where the filling begins.
- Brush the top of each roll with beaten egg and top with poppy seeds. Cut each long roll into six and place all the sausage rolls evenly spaced onto the baking sheets.
- Bake in the oven for 20-35 minutes until golden, then remove and leave to cool a little before serving with the yoghurt.