Healthy popcorn recipe with chilli and lime
This popcorn recipe makes a perfect healthy snack as it is low in fat and calories. Popcorn contains “polyphenols”, nutrients found in plant foods that help to neutralise free radicals, and can help protect against degenerative diseases.
- If you don’t have nutritional yeast, use a low-salt bouillion powder or simple salt and pepper instead.
- This recipe uses coconut oil for its high smoke-point, making it more stable when heated. A good alternative is rapeseed oil.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cups of good quality, non-GMO popcorn kernels
- Chilli flakes
- Fresh coriander & parsley, chopped
- 3 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1/2 lime, juice
- Salt & pepper
- Heat up a deep pan on a high eat and add the coconut oil. Make sure it is really sizzling hot before adding in the popcorn.
- Cover immediately with a lid and shake backwards and forwards while the kernels start to pop.
- Carry on until the popping stops. When it’s freshly popped, drizzle over some olive oil (to help the ingredients stick).
- Using your hands, mix in the nutritional yeast, chilli flakes, chopped coriander and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper. Squeeze over half a lime for a zesty kick.