Mushroom, kale and tarragon pie recipe
There are few things more comforting on a chilly evening than a hearty pie to tuck into. Our delicious mushroom, kale and tarragon pie recipe is one you’re sure to return to, again and again.
While you may prefer to make your own pastry, we’ve used shop-bought here for ease. This pie is a quick and simple way to get a homecooked meal on the table that’s teeming with healthy vegetables. What’s more, this delicious recipe can feed four for just £8*, making it ideal for families.
*Disclaimer: Prices based on a mix of UK nationwide online retailers, excluding a basic larder of olive oils, butter, salt and black pepper. Prices based per weight of ingredient. Where possible, free-range produce was used.
Subscribe for more inspiration from Liz Earle Wellbeing
Love this mushroom pie recipe? You’ll find even more delights in our gorgeous print magazine. Built on over 30 years of Liz Earle’s personal, award-winning advice, experience and research, our much-loved bi-monthly magazine brings you the best ways to look good and feel great. You’ll find each issue packed with tried-and-trusted recipes, inspirational ideas and simple ways to bring out the very best in you. Wellbeing wisdom you can trust is at the heart of all we do.
Discover more delicious recipes
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 600g chestnut mushrooms, quartered lengthways
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 75g kale, woody ends removed and roughly chopped
- 75ml white wine
- 200g crème fraîche
- 150g any smoked cheese, roughly chopped
- 100ml whole milk
- tinned anchovy (optional)
- 10g tarragon, roughly chopped
- 320g puff pastry (one sheet)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Place the onion and one tablespoon of olive oil to a large nonstick pan over a medium heat. Cook the onions, stirring often, for about 15 minutes until they are soft and translucent. Set the onions aside in a medium-sized pie dish.
- Add the butter and another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and increase the heat to high. Once smoking, add the mushrooms and season well with salt and pepper. Fry for ten minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the kale and stir fry for a further four minutes until wilted. Add all the veg to the pie dish with the onions.
- Into the same pan, add the wine, crème fraîche, smoked cheese, milk and anchovy, then stir over a low heat until smooth and combined. Add the tarragon and simmer for five minutes. Pour the sauce mixture over the veg in the pie dish and mix well.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out your pastry, place on top of your pie and trim any excess (you can use this to decorate your pie). Brush the beaten egg over the pastry. Put in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.