Ham, cheese and mushroom savoury pancake recipe
Looking for a delicious savoury pancake recipe? Try this recipe – it’s perfect for satisfying savoury cravings. With a topping of ham, cheese and mushrooms, these pancakes make a quick and simple weekday lunch, but work perfectly as a weekend brunch too.
We use buckwheat flour here to make the pancakes. This useful alternative for wheat flour contains a host of vitamins and minerals. It’s an excellent source of fibre, helping to support your digestive system. Buckwheat is also high in magnesium and contains contains iron, zinc as well as B vitamins.
Simply fry your buckwheat crêpe, layer with your chosen topping, and pop under the grill – a fun and filling meal for one. Don’t be afraid to experiment either. Swapping ham for red pepper is an easy way to enjoy a vegetarian alternative.
If you’re using ham in your savoury pancake recipe, ensure the meat that you buy is organic and free range. Free-range meat helps ensure the meat you’re eating is more likely to be free from antibiotics and their residues. Unfortunately, these are often used in intensively farmed pork and poultry.
Discover more delicious recipes
- Crustless potato, herb and goat’s cheese pie
- Aubergine and potato vegetarian moussaka
- Greek-inspired feta cheese pie recipe
- Salmon and sweet potato gratin recipe
- Buckwheat flour is gluten-free and low on the glycemic index, helping to lower blood sugar levels
- Spelt flour is a good source of fibre, magnesium and iron and is slightly easier to digest than wheat
- Recent research revealed mushrooms contain unusually high amounts of two antioxidants that could help fight aging
For the buckwheat pancakes
- 3 heaped tbsp buckwheat flour (can be swapped for spelt)
- 40ml milk
- 1 organic egg
- Knob of butter
For the savoury topping
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- Handful of chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaes
- 1 tbsp chutney of choice
- 1 slice of good-quality ham
- 30g hard cheese of choice (we like cheddar) grated
- Salt and pepper
- To make the pancakes, mix the four, milk and egg. Heat the butter in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and ladle in the mixture. Move the pan around or use the back of a spoon to thin the mixture.
- Let it cook for two minutes on each side, before carefully removing the pancake with a spatula and placing it onto a baking tray ready for your topping.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and sauté the red onion, mushrooms and thyme for five minutes until they start to caramelise.
- Spread the chutney over the pancake, before evenly spooning on the red onion and mushroom mixture. Tear the ham into small pieces and sprinkle on top , along with the cheese.
- Place in the oven for approximately eight minutes, keeping an eye on it until the cheese is melted and the ham is crispy.