Feta and kale savoury muffins
Meal prepping at the weekend is a great way to save time during busy weekday mornings. We like to make a batch of savoury muffins to enjoy when a nutritious, filling breakfast is essential, but time is tight. This flavoursome feta and kale muffin recipe is a firm favourite, we’re sure you’ll see why.
- Small handful of kale
- 180g spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 150g Greek yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp Marmite
- 80ml olive oil
- 20ml milk
- 2 organic eggs
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6 at least 30 minutes before the muffins go in. Grease a 6-muffin tray with olive oil or, alternatively, use muffin cases.
- Destalk the kale, so you have just the leaves. Rinse in cold water before setting to one side.
- In a large bowl, mix together the spelt flour, baking powder and mustard powder. In a smaller bowl, mix together the yoghurt, Marmite, olive oil, milk and eggs. Create a well in the dry ingredients, and pour in the wet ingredients.
- Carefully fold together the wet and dry ingredients, stirring inthe kale and half of the feta cheese. If the mixture is too dry, add a little more milk to loosen it to a dough-like consistency that can be scooped into the tray.
- Generously spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tray, and crumble the remaining feta on top. Lower the temperature of the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4, and bake the muffins for 25 minutes until golden, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.