Broccoli, spinach and pea soup with tortellini recipe
Wellbeing WisdomThis vivid green soup is rich in fibre, B vitamins and iron.
- Light olive oil, for frying
- 20g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1L vegetable stock
- 200g frozen petit pois
- 100g spinach
- 50ml half-fat crème fraîche
- 30g flat-leaf parsley
- 200g tortellini
1. In a large saucepan, heat a glug of oil and melt the butter over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and carrots. Gently fry for ten minutes, then season and add half the broccoli. Gently stir with a wooden spoon for a few minutes, then add the stock.
2. Simmer the soup for 15 minutes until all the veg is nearly tender, then add half the peas and all the spinach. Simmer for a couple of minutes more. Pour the soup into a blender, season with salt and pepper and add half the crème fraîche and half the parsley. Blitz until smooth.
3. Pour the soup back into the saucepan and add the reserved peas and broccoli with the tortellini. Gently heat over a medium heat until simmering. Cook for five minutes until the beg and pasta are al dente. Split between bowls and garnish with the remaining crème fraîche and herbs.
Top tip: This soup is best eaten straight away, as the pasta will be too soft if reheated.