Boxing Day tortilla with pancetta and sprouts
A bracing Boxing Day walk is the perfect way to remedy any sore heads and sluggishness post-Christmas Day indulgence. But be sure to take sustenance – we love this tortilla recipe, which is easily adaptable to include any leftover veggies you have from the main event. Wrap it in tin foil and take it with you for a wintery picnic.
- 250g new potatoes (or leftover roasties)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 100g diced pancetta or bacon lardons
- 100g sprouts, steamed and halved (Christmas Dinner leftover sprouts are ideal)
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp chilli jam
- 70g Gruyère cheese, grated
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce
- Small handful of fresh chives, chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/gas mark 5. Parboil the potatoes in salted water until they are just about ready, but still firm (approx 8 minutes). Drain and allow to cool before slicing into 1/2cm discs. Set to one side, keeping the rounded ends of the potatoes.
- In a large frying pan, heat up 2 tbsp of olive oil and sauté the red onion, garlic, pancetta and sprouts for around 15 minutes, until the pancetta is crispy and the sprouts and onions have caramelised. Season well and then remove the mixture from the frying pan and place into a bowl seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Add in a further tbsp of oil and lower the heat. Carefully place the potato discs along the bottom of the pan, layering until there are no gaps. Let the bottom of the potatoes fry for 5 minutes, then pour over the beaten eggs and add in the cooked red onion, garlic, pancetta and sprouts, distributing them evenly. Season with salt and pepper, and add in a splash of Worcestershire sauce. Let it cook for a few minutes so that the egg is starting to lose its transparency, but is still runny in the middle.
- Grate over the Gruyère and pop the pan in the oven for a further 7 minutes, until the eggs are firm and cooked through and the cheese has melted. Garnish with chopped chives.
Yoghurt and berry tart with a wholemeal base