Apple, walnut and juniper vegetarian stuffing
This vegetarian stuffing recipe proves that there’s no need for sausage meat to enjoy this integral part of a roast or Christmas dinner. This Scandinavian-inspired stuffing is flavoured with aromatic juniper and rosemary.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 2 Braeburn apples, diced
- 125g breadcrumbs
- 80g walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp juniper berries, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp chives, chopped
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 100-150ml apple juice or water
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan. Add the onion and gently sauté over a medium heat until starting to colour. Add the apple and cook until starting to soften.
- Tip the onion and apple into a large bowl and mix in the breadcrumbs. Add the remaining ingredients, pouring the liquid in last to make the mixture moist but not wet. You may not need all of it. Give it a good mix and squeeze together with your hands.
- Lightly grease a gratin dish and gently press the stuffing into it. Bake for ten minutes, then mix with a fork. Press down again, drizzle with a little olive oil or dot with a little butter.
- Bake for a further ten to 15 minutes until the top is nicely browned. Add a drizzle of olive oil if you like. Serve straight from the dish at the table.