Incontinence with Dr Mayoni Gooneratne
Liz is joined by Dr Mayoni Gooneratne. A former NHS pelvic surgeon, Dr. Mayoni now specialises in aesthetics and is dedicated to restoring women’s health and self-confidence at her London clinic. Tune in as we take a deep dive into the all-too-common, yet taboo subject of incontinence.
In this episode:
- Dr. Mayoni describes her journey into surgery.
- Liz and Dr. Mayoni discuss how the pelvic floor works, and the potential sites of weakness.
- Dr. Mayoni discusses the issue of fecal incontinence.
- Dr. Mayoni explains how pregnancy and childbirth can effect incontinence, and the need to engage with their pelvic floor and core stability.
- Dr. Mayoni shares how common urinary incontinence is for women.
- Dr. Mayoni explains how childbirth and the loss of the protective effects of oestrogen can increase the risk of incontinence.
- Dr. Mayoni explains how the menopause can effect your pelvic floor.
- Liz and Dr. Mayoni discuss the taboo that surrounds incontinence, and the need to de-stigmatise this topic.
- Liz asks Dr. Mayoni about the surgical options to help with incontinence.
- Liz and Dr. Mayoni discuss exercises to strengthen your pelvic floor, and what other surgical and non-invasive options are available.
- Dr. Mayoni explains the diuretic effect of caffeine on our bodies, and what we should be drinking each day.
- Liz and Dr. Mayoni discuss how your gut health can effect your colorectal and pelvic floor health.
More from Dr. Mayoni: