S5E8: Fermented foods with Ursel Barnes
A staple of any gut-friendly diet, fermented foods can help to increase the diversity of our good gut bugs. In this episode, Liz is joined by famed fermenter, Ursel Barnes, to discuss the secrets of fermentation, the benefits of veg-centric eating and Ursel’s favourite gut-friendly ingredients.
Inside the episode:
- Ursel shares how she first recognised the benefits of fermented foods.
- Liz and Ursel discuss the gut-health benefits of rest and sleep.
- Ursel explains the benefits of eating lots of plants.
- Ursel shares her favourite plant-based protein.
- What are the 5Ks of gut health?
- Liz shares how sourdough has improved her father’s health.
- What is fibre?
- Ursel shares why fibre is so important for great gut health.
- Liz and Ursel discuss the benefits of intermittent fasting.
- What are the benefits of seaweed?
- Liz and Ursel share their experience of eating keto.
Resources mentioned in the episode:
Don’t miss part one of this three-part, gut-health special with Professor Tim Spector.
Visit Ursel’s deli, High Mood Food
For fermented food inspiration, follow Ursel on Instagram.
Read our in-depth article all about the benefits of fibre for the gut.
*This episode is brought to you by our friends at Bimuno. Bimuno is the daily fibre supplement that increases the levels of good gut bacteria and helps people to enjoy the benefits of a balanced gut in just seven days. It’s simple to take and fits easily into your daily routine. Bimuno are offering listeners 10% off – simply use the code LIZ10 at checkout.