Vegan chocolate mousse recipe
This easy vegan chocolate mousse recipe by Dr Joan Ransley for Love Your Gut combines simple gut-friendly ingredients. The blend of ripe bananas, avocados, almond butter and cocoa powder whisk together to form a delicious light and velvety chocolate mousse.
Sweetness from this recipe comes from the ripe bananas. The natural sugars in bananas become more concentrated as the fruit ripens, reducing the need for calorie-laden refined sugar. Bananas are also great for our gut. They contain dietary fibre that helps nutrients move through the gut and complex carbohydrates known as fructo-oligosaccharides. These help healthy gut bacteria to thrive.
Avocados help to give this mousse its creamy flavour. Avocados contain a high amount of fat, but despite being nearly 30% plant fat, they contain no cholesterol and the vast majority of the fat is the monounsaturated kind. This healthier fat is also found in rapeseed and olive oils. It’s essential for the maintenance of our cells, as well as helping to reduce the ‘bad’ form of cholesterol.
Almonds are not only a fantastic source of vitamin E (great for our skin), but are also rich in prebiotics including dietary fibre. Bacteria in the gut metabolise this fibre, which plays an important part in keeping us healthy.
Discover more chocolate recipes
- Bananas are rich in potassium, which can help lower blood pressure
- Bananas also contain magnesium, which is also important for heart health
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 2 small ripe avocados
- 80g almond butter (rough or smooth)
- 30g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 100g of fresh berries i.e. raspberries, blueberries, strawberries
- Peel and roughly chop the bananas. Cut the avocados in half, remove the stones and scrape the flesh from the skin.
- Place the bananas and avocado in the bowl of a food processor. Add the almond butter, cocoa powder and vanilla essence. Process these ingredients for 30 seconds or until you have a smooth puree.
- Divide the chocolate mousse into serving bowls or glasses and top with berries.