Quick spring green sauerkraut recipe
- Up to 1kg leafy greens, shredded
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1-2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1-2 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
This is a super simple sauerkraut recipe that you can make to use up spring greens. Sauerkraut is a real gut-friendly treat, and a few forkfuls a day should help to keep your gut balanced with good bacteria (probiotics). Be sure to massage the leaves really rigorously for a good 5-10 minutes, almost as though you are kneading bread. This will release all their naturally occurring juices, which will provide the liquid for the spring greens to ferment in.
- In a bowl, mix together the spring greens and salt. Massage the leaves well to release the juices and allow to rest for ten minutes.
- Mix in the fennel, spices and garlic cloves. Add into a sterilised jar, pushing down so the juices totally cover the ingredients. If they don’t, top up with a little more salty water.
- Cover tightly and ferment for around three days to a week, depending on how strong you like the taste. Check daily to see that it is tangy and bubbling, and to prevent a build up of gas. When you’re satisfied, transfer to the fridge.
- Sauerkraut is a great way to include more probiotics in your diet, which will keep your gut bacteria balanced and healthy.