Pancetta and root veggie gratin
- 100g thin pancetta rashers, snipped into small pieces
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 200g peeled sweet potato, coarsely grated
- 2 carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 200g peeled swede, coarsely grated
- 1-2 tsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 1 large leek, sliced into rounds
- 150g courgette, coarsely grated
- 170g low-fat soft cheese
- 100g mature cheddar, grated
- 2 tsp chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
Traybakes are perfect for chilly nights. Quick to prepare, super- tasty and, at around 500 kcals per portion, this dish is a lighter way to keep us nourished and full.
- Fry the pancetta until crispy in a large frying pan, then remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and blot dry on kitchen paper.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pancetta fat and fry for 5 minutes until soft. Turn your grill on at this point if it takes a while to warm up.
- Tip the grated sweet potato, carrot and swede into the onion and garlic mixture, and fry on a high heat for 5 minutes, stirring often. If it looks too dry, add 1-2 tsp of oil. Finally, add the sliced leek and grated courgette and fry on a medium-high heat for 15-20 minutes until cooked, stirring frequently.
- Pour the vegetables into a shallow ovenproof gratin dish and stir in the soft cheese before seasoning well with salt and black pepper. Gently fold in the pancetta.
- Smooth flat, sprinkle with grated cheddar and place under the hot grill for 5-10 minutes or until beautifully golden.
- Scatter with chopped parsley and serve immediately with a bitter salad of chicory or radicchio.