Healthy Welsh cake recipe
- 125g spelt flour
- 125g plain white flour (plus extra for rolling)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 110g salted butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 50g caster sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
- 1 tbsp organic honey
- 1 medium free-range egg
- 50g currants
Adapted from a family recipe, this Welsh cake recipe uses half spelt flour and half white flour, reduced sugar and organic honey.
Eat warm or enjoy cold with a generous spread of butter. But be warned, one is never enough so they won’t last long!
Discover more sweet treats
- Mix the flours, baking powder and mixed spice in a bowl. Add the butter and rub with your fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the sugar with your hands, then add the currants. Work the egg and honey into the mixture until you have a soft dough.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a quarter inch thickness (6mm) and cut with a 6cm cutter.
- Heat a greased pan or baking stone to a medium temperature and cook the cakes for 4-5 minutes each side until browned and cooked in the middle. You should be able to see whether they are cooked by looking at the sides of the cake.
- Lightly sprinkle with sugar while still hot and leave to cool on a wire tray.