Hot smoked salmon salad with beetroot and horseradish
Enjoy long summer evenings with this mouthwatering hot smoked salmon salad with beetroot and a tangy horseradish dressing – an exclusive recipe from the Summer 2015 edition of Liz Earle Wellbeing magazine. Nutritious and simple to rustle up, this warm salad makes a delicious light supper – perfect enjoyed with a glass of cold, crisp rosé (or whatever your drink of choice may be!).
We should aim to eat oily fish at least once a week to reap the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids, which contribute to healthy brain function and may also help reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Salmon contains omega-3 fatty acids, which help keep our hearts and brains healthy
- B vitamins in beetroot help your body to release energy steadily throughout the day, reducing tiredness
For the beetroot
- 4 small raw beetroot, peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ clove garlic, crushed
- 3 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 orange, grated zest and juice
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the salad and dressing
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lemon, juice
- 2 tbsp grated horseradish (or hot creamed horseradish)
- 100g watercress, washed
- 400g hot smoked salmon pieces
- ½ cucumber
- 10 radishes
- 2 tbsp dill, roughly chopped
- Place the grated beetroot into a bowl. Heat the oil in a small pan, and add the garlic and caraway seeds to the oil. Before the garlic colours, tip in the orange zest and juice and cook for 5 minutes or until the orange has reduced to a syrup consistency. Mix in the vinegar and the good quality olive oil. Drizzle over the beetroot, season with salt and pepper and mix together thoroughly.
- Next mix together the horseradish dressing ingredients in a bowl, whisking well to combine. Add a little water so that it is the consistency of double cream. Set to one side for the flavours to develop.
- Prepare the cucumber and radish by slicing thinly into rounds then cutting across the rounds into thin matchsticks.
- To assemble, spread the watercress across the base of a serving platter. Sprinkle with the dressed beetroot. Gently pull the salmon into large chunks and place on top of the beetroot. Drizzle with the horseradish dressing and sprinkle over the cucumber and radish. Top with chopped dill.
For more delicious summer salads, pick up your copy of Liz Earle Wellbeing magazine from WHSmith, Liz Earle Beauty Co flagship stores and Boots counters, or other retailers. Alternatively subscribe to get Liz Earle Wellbeing magazine straight to your door and receive FREE UK P&P.