Pan-fried salmon with spiced red lentils and tomatoes
It’s easy to let good eating habits slip on a weeknight – the lure of a quick and easy mealtime fix can often lead to uninspiring food choices. Yet delicious and healthy food needn’t be difficult or time-consuming to make and this mouth-watering salmon recipe is testament to how you and your family can enjoy nourishing, fuss-free food every night of the week. We have a full five days’ worth of healthy weeknight supper recipes in every edition of Liz Earle Wellbeing magazine. And, with all of them under 500kcals per serving, you can enjoy a delicious guilt-free supper every night of the week, whilst still making sure you all feel fully satisfied.
- Salmon contains omega-3 fatty acids, which help keep our hearts and brains healthy
- Lentils are high in fibre which can help lower cholesterol and improve heart health, and a great source of protein
- They also plant hormones called ligans, which are thought to naturally help balance our own hormones
- 100g red lentils
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 200g baby leaf spinach
- 2 salmon fillets (120g each)
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Small bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- 1/2 lemon, cut into wedges
- Put the lentils in a small pan with the garlic, chilli, turmeric, cumin and cayenne pepper. Cover with 400ml of boiling water and cook over a medium-high heat until the lentils are tender and almost all of the water has evaporated. Stir the spinach into the lentils and allow the heat of the pan to wilt the leaves. Season well and set aside covered with lid to keep warm.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a high heat, add the salmon skin side down and cook for 3 minutes. Turn the salmon over and cook for a further two minutes, then throw in the cherry tomatoes and shake the pan gently to heat them through. Once the salmon is crisp on the outside and pink in the centre, remove the pan from the heat.
- Divide the lentils between two plates, top with the salmon fillets and some cherry tomatoes, scatter with coriander and serve with lemon wedges.