Salmon, avocado and sauerkraut on rye
Get the party started with food to feed a crowd. These canapés are quick and easy to prepare, while still beautiful to look at and delicious to eat.
- Eating salmon could help keep our hearts and brains healthy, as it contains omega-3 fatty acids
- Avocados contain strong levels of folic acid, which is thought to help combat depression
- 5 slices dark rye bread
- 1 ripe avocado, stone removed
- 100g full-fat Greek yoghurt
- 1⁄2 tsp honey
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 hot smoked salmon fillets, skin removed and flesh flaked
- 50g sauerkraut
- Chives, snipped to serve
- Toast the rye bread for a couple of minutes on each side, or until it is lightly toasted and crisp. Cut each piece into 8 small squares, and set aside until ready to use.
- To make the avocado cream, put chopped avocado, yoghurt, honey and cayenne into a food processor and whizz until smooth. You want to achieve the consistency of thick cream, so add a tsp of water if the mix is too thick. Scrape out, cover the surface with clingfilm and chill until required.
- Top each square of rye toast with a smear of avocado cream, scatter over some hot smoked salmon, a little sauerkraut and finish with a few snipped chives. Serve immediately.
This recipe is taken from the Winter 2016 issue of Liz Earle Wellbeing. For more party nibbles and Liz’s wellbeing wisdom, subscribe to the magazine and get free P&P (UK).